Africa Mercy

Africa Mercy

Monday, June 16, 2014

Monday June 16,,,6:44 pm Gran Canari
Well today was the first work day and it was quite a day.
I was supposed to report to Engineering, where I was told to and I did just as I was told. When I arrived we had morning devotions and then I was taken down for orientation, at which time I was told I wasn't assigned to engineering, I was assigned to Special Project. This is a good thing because that is where I had originally been assigned with Roger, the man I met in Hawaii.

We began installing new internet cables down the hall on the medical floor, which involves removing many many screwed in ceiling panels to give access to install the cable. Even with the panels removed, you can't get your body, well at least my body, in that small space so I ended up working with just my arms in the ceiling trying to fish new cables in a small space I cannot reach. At the end of the day, I did have good success and I got 2 cables down the hall where they belong. Tomorrow, 6 new cables even further down the hall.

In the process of installing the cables, we are also moving walls (bulkheads) in several areas and I am having to move electrical wiring and lights. Most people won't understand, but this ship has European wiring which means 2 wires carrying 240 volts to every light and outlet. That I understand, but I learned, don't ask me how just know I saw sparks, that when you turn off a light switch you still have 1 wire at the light that has 240 volts all the time. Oh, something else I am learning is that switches and breakers are OFF in the up position, as opposed to down like in the US.  Again, don't ask me how I know...anyway now I know.

It is going to be a long 2 months, which I like, with lots of projects and I will get to do a variety of jobs. I was taken by the ship's electrician all over the ship and shown all the equipment and generators and switchboards and this ship is complicated. Then when he left me I was able to get lost on all 8 decks, many times. Stairs, stairs and more stairs and everything you need to do is usually UP....not down stairs.

Peggy is in HR and doing an outstanding job,,in my opinion. Well, at least, she hasn't been fired! haha.
When she left today, she told her boss, "Hopefully I will see you tomorrow".:)

Tonight will be a rest night for us. Still trying to get used to the time change. Hopefully by the weekend we will be rested enough to get to go ashore and see some of the sites.

Wednesday will be "out of the water" day and I hope to video the process, if not, I will take pictures.

I will try to attach some pictures and hopefully they will be viewable..

Love
Ken and Peggy


                                    View outside our cabin
                                         European switchboard complete with screw in fuses
                                              Working above the ceilings


No comments:

Post a Comment